This website will tell you whether a book has a quiz and, if it does, what level it is.
Once you have selected parent or pupil from the homepage and clicked submit you will be taken to a quick search page.
· If you are checking a particular book that your child already has or desires to read – use this search page. If there is no quiz available based on searching the title, try the subtitle e.g. Tom Gates books often don’t appear if you put Tom Gates at start but if you use the subtitle e.g. ‘Excellent Excuses’ the quiz will appear. If you still can’t find a quiz, search the authors full name. All the books they have written, that have quizzes, will appear and you can then search through the results. The results are organised alphabetically and can often have more than one page of results. If you still can’t find a quiz for that book it may be that that there isn’t a quiz available (not all books have quizzes) but if in doubt tell your child to speak to Mrs Scott in the Library and she will double check for you.
· If you are looking for ideas for books in your child’s reading range then click the ‘Advanced Search’ tab that appears in grey.
· From there you can leave the top section blank except for quiz type – select ‘Reading Practice’.
· Next select interest level
· Then in the ATOS Book Level section put your child’s lowest number of his/her reading range (ZPD) in the first box and his/her highest number in the second box.
· There are further options in additional criteria that you may want to select.
· In the last ‘Sorted’ section, sort by book level then you can decide how challenging you want the book to be. I do advise students to start at the lower end of their reading range and work up from there based on the success of their quiz scores.
· Finally click ‘Go’.
You should now have several pages of results of books with quizzes in your child’s reading range at their interest level. Various information is included along with a description of the plot for each book. If you click on any book that your child is interested in, a little more info appears which includes the genre, isbn and word count. Just click the back button to return to the original results.
Hopefully this will allow you to find new and exciting books that your child can enjoy and be successful in Accelerated Reader.